Top tips to keep those festive gifts safe this Christmas
Christmas is nearly here, the presents are bought and wrapped, the food is orders and the decorations are hanging on the glistening tree. This is an exciting time of year, but for some, sadly can bring upset as their homes are broken into.
More often than not the presents wrapped under the festive tree are overlooked, however this time of year means thieves are on the look out even more so.
Here are a few top tips to keep those festive gifts safe
- Always set your alarm when leaving the house and make sure it is serviced once a year
- Before leaving your home ensure all windows and doors are locked
- Flood lights can deter thieves on approach to your home
- Don’t leave anything on display on the ground floor through the windows or if so make sure the blinds are down/ curtains closed so your presents aren’t on show
- Be careful not to advertise your gifts on social media- According to one recent study, social media is a commonly used tool for scouting potential targets. Social media savvy families have a tendency to publish their whereabouts during the holiday season, including any vacation plans. This lets burglars know when your house is going to be empty. Uploaded photos of pricey Christmas gifts can also be a problem as it basically allows burglars to go shopping just by viewing your Facebook profile
- If you need to leave any items in the car make sure they are locked in the boot- never leave them on sight
- Never leave doors and the car boot open whilst you take other shopping indoors- an opportunist thief will see this as a perfect moment to strike
Remember, Christmas may be the season of goodwill, but it is also the time of year where thieves want to get their hands on presents for their own friends and families – so make sure they don’t get them by taking a few extra precautions with your presents this festive season. With this is mind, also don’t forget to inform your insurer of the latest influx of cost into your home.