We’re ready for the cold snap are you?
With the mornings still dark and dreary and weather being thrown at us from the Arctic, the weather puts strain on all elements of our lives.
The cold weather may look scenic and bring that wintery sparkle to the air but along with this comes some unexpected trouble. Here are some top tips to help you deal with the big freeze at home:
- Take care if clearing snow and ice from outside your home and on the pathway. Whilst you may think you’re doing your neighbours a favour, just remember that any snow you move that may injure someone else means you could face legal action.
- Check your lagging! If your water pipes and tanks are properly insulated, it’s less likely they’ll freeze up. A short term investment will pay dividends in the long term, and may save you having to pay any potential insurance excess if you have to make a claim.
- Keep your heating ticking over and use a thermostat. It’s often more cost effective to do this rather than to keep switching the system on or off before you leave the office for the day or disappear from home for a week’s holiday. Don’t increase the risk of burst water pipes in these zero degree temperatures for the sake of just a few pence!
- Avoid leaving the engine running to thaw out the car while you continue to get ready for work. You’re an easy target for a car thief! Insurers won’t pay out for the loss in these circumstances so play it safe.
- Check your motor insurance before leaving the house. That way you’ll be doubly sure you can make a claim if you have to abandon your vehicle due to bad weather. You’ll also know whether or not you’re covered for breakdown or roadside assistance via your motor insurance policies if your car fails to start.
- Report any pot holes or damaged road surfaces to your local authority. Be aware that you may be able to claim compensation to cover the cost of any repairs to your car. That means you can avoid having to claim unnecessarily on your own insurance, which may bump up your excess.
By taking these simple steps you can ensure that your insurance policies aren’t comprised as a result of the bad weather and your and your family are kept safe this winter.Within our Private Clients sector we assist you every step of the way to ensure you are protected against extreme weather damage.
To find out more click here